Tuesday 1 July 2014

Mudguard Painting on the XT660

I've finally got round to painting the plastics on my XT660 (and writing stuff in this blog!)

The plastics weren't in particularly bad condition, I just wasn't overly enamoured with the colour. Also, my friend kept referring to the bike as purple rather than blue, so I had to change it!

I'm still deciding on the final colour but it will be somewhere between a satin and a gloss black.



As you can see, the mudguard has a few deep scratches in it. In order to get rid of these, I sanded the affected area with varying grades of sand paper.

100 grit to remove the surrounding material down so the scratch depth, 400 grit to blend the 100 grit area back in and 800 grit to give a smooth finish for the primer to key to. I went over the entire mudguard with 800 grit prior to painting to dull down the shiny finish and allow the primer to stick to the plastic.

Once this was done, I balanced the mudguard on a bottle of thinner and started to give thin even coats of primer.


This is where the first disaster stuck, the force of the spray can knocked the mudguard onto the floor covering the wet primer in dust and grit. The finish was ruined!

I had to sand everything back down and start again. This time I left the mudguard on the floor! I'll have to be careful to get the edges covered with primer, but its much more stable than spinning around on top of a bottle of thinners!


After much faffing, the final result is below!



I have noticed that there is a hint of the original scratch I tried to remove, but I think I may just use a little body filler/putty on this rather than sanding back down again.

I've still got the nose fairing, left and right tank panels and tail section to prime but I've learnt from my mistakes!


No comments: