Monday 11 August 2014

Side panels, stickers and new paint.

After my unplanned test ride a couple of weeks ago I found that although the Halfords satin black paint looked great, without a lacquer to protect it, the finish wasn't durable enough to be on a motorbike.

After much googling around I came across a product that promised a satin black finish that cured to a chip and scratch resistant finish. Simoniz Tough Black spray, lots of positive reviews so I thought I'd best give it a go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simoniz-Tough-Paint-500ml-Black/dp/B004R95MXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407741800&sr=8-1&keywords=Simoniz+Tough+Paint+500ml+-+Black+Satin

A couple of cans were ordered and the side panels were chosen to get the first samples.







I'm not sure how easy it is to see the finish from the above photos but its pretty good, not quite as even as the halfords satin paint, but I think I may have held the can a little too close to the panel at one point. After a couple of days, the paint, as promised, had cured rock solid.

The finishing touch for the panels were to be gloss black Yamaha stickers on the satin black panels. It sounded like a good idea but having never tried it before, I couldn't be sure of the outcome.



The stickers required a backing plate to be removed then placed onto the panels and pressed down using a cloth.



It took about 5 mins per sticker to make sure they adhered to the panel.



The final result was certainly worth the effort in my opinion, subdued, subtle and looks like it was done in the factory. Not a bad result!

1 comment:

Maya said...

looks cool, loved how you chose a black sticker over a matte black body, very subtle